Monday, November 2, 2009

We Do... We Understand..

"I hear and I forget.I see and I remember...I do, and I understand." -- Confucius

I don't often quote Confucius but I saw a book with these words amidst the ruins of a home in Biloxi. It was laying in the grass outside the front door just waiting for me to spot it. It was too waterlogged to open but these were the words on the cover.
Do they apply? Sure
For weeks I had been hearing about Katrina on the news. If that is as far as I traveled I would soon forget. When I drove around on a tour of Ocean Springs and saw total destruction I know those images are forever seared in my memory.
When I helped gut a person's home of all their personal belongings, I felt like this is what "I do" means.
Yes, in many ways I feel like now I am much closer to understanding the power and the pain caused by a massive hurricane such as Katrina.

No comments:

Post a Comment